LINDLEY, Robert Haywood*
Noted events in his life were:
• Appearance in Document: NC Birth Index, 1934, Alamance Co, NC. 5037 1934, Lindley, Boy, child of Chas. C. Lindley, recorded in Vol 22 page 451.
• Census, 10 Apr 1940, Burlington Twp, Alamance Co, NC. 5036
• Story: Bonlee Gazette, 27 Jan 1950, Bonlee, Chatham Co, NC. The 27 Jan 1950 issue of the Bonlee Gazette "Gossip Center" column includes an entry saying "Bobby it seems as though your and Shirley's little Love Affair is still going hot!". [This seems to be a school newspaper]
• Appearance in Document, 1950, Bonlee, Chatham Co, NC. In the 1950 Bonlee High School yearbook, Bobby Lindley is a sophomore. He is on the Basketball Team and the Baseball Team, the Commercial Class, Cheerleaders, 4-H Club Officers.
• Census, 7 Apr 1950, Baldwin Twp, Chatham Co, NC. 5041
• Graduation: Pittsboro High School, 1952, Pittsboro, Chatham Co, NC.
• Military Service: Enlisted in Air Force, 2 May 1953.
• Residence, 1953, Lackland AFB, Bexar Co, TX.
• Residence: Rt. 3, Chapel Hill, NC, 23 Mar 1956. 5541
• Military Service: Left Air Force, 1 May 1957.
• Residence: "Woodlin," 1957, Chatham Co, NC.
• Residence, 1958, Chapel Hill, Orange Co, NC.
• Degree: BA in Secondary Education from UNC, 1960.
• Graduation: University of North Carolina, Jan 1960, Chapel Hill, Orange Co, NC. BA Education
• Military Service: Re-Enlisted in Air Force, 21 Jun 1960.
• Military Service: Became Officer in Air Force, 20 Sep 1960.
• Residence: 201 N. 27th, Oct 1960, Harlingen AFB, Cameron Co, TX.
• Residence: 211 Johnson Avenue, Aug 1961, Mather AFB, Sacramento Co, CA. Later 219 Johnson Avenue
• Property: Receipt of 20 acres from Charles & Gladys Lindley, 29 Jun 1965, Chatham Co, NC. 5583 Charles and Gladys gave the 20 western-most acres of Woodlin to Bob and Shirley.
• Military Service: Exchange Program with RAF, 16 Aug 1966, RAF Manby, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom. Bob had an exchange assignment with the Royal Air Force, from 16 August 1966 to 13 Dec 1969. This included time spent in training programs plus two years on the staff at the RAF College of Air Warfare.
• Residence: Siskin Crescent, Aug 1966, RAF Manby, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom.
• Residence: 6 Canberra Crescent, cir 1967, RAF Manby, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom.
• Military Service: End of tour in England, cir Oct 1969.
• Residence: 6679 Retton Road, Nov 1969, Reynoldsburg, Franklin Co, OH. This was a rented home.
• Residence, May 1970, Vietnam.
• Military Service: AC-119G "Shadow" Gunships in Vietnam, 1970. Photo of AC-119G "Shadow" crew in Da Nang, Vietnam. Photo from website about 17th Special Operations Squadron at http://www.airwarvietnam.com/17sos.htm. Bob was assigned to 17th SOS for his Vietnam tour. Caption there says "AC-119G crew at DaNang Standing, L-R Davis Voisey, AG, Capt Unidentified, Nav, Capt Barry Harmer, AC, Capt Robert Lindley, Nav, 1Lt Newell Lee, Co-Pilot. Front Row, L-R, Jim Greig, AG, Calvin Churchill, IO, "Dusty" Rhodes FE".
• Property: Bought, 19 Jun 1971, Fairborn, Greene Co, OH. Greene County Reverse Index Book 1970-1973, L, deed number 6209, Date 6/19/71, grantee Robert H. and Shirley C. Lindley, grantor Jack & Judith P. Linsea, Vol 464, page 19, Lot No 5494, Forest Hills sec. 8, Fairborn.
• Residence: 325 Chatham Drive, Jul 1971, Fairborn, Greene Co, OH.
• Property: Sold, 8 Jun 1973, Fairborn, Greene Co, OH. Greene County Direct Index Book 1970-1973, L, deed number 5433, Date 6/8/73, grantor Robert H. and Shirley C. Lindley, grantee Roger Mark & Mary Alice Hall, Vol 488, page 829, Lot No 5494, Forest Hills sec. 8, Fairborn.
• Graduation: Air Force Institute Of Technology, 13 Jun 1973, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH. BS Electrical Engineering.
• Property: Bought, Jul 1973, Belton, Cass Co, MO.
• Residence: 501 Stacey Drive, Jul 1973, Belton, Cass Co, MO.
• Property: Sold, 1977, Belton, Cass Co, MO.
• Military Service: Retired from Air Force, 31 Jul 1977.
• Property: Bought land on Kivett Street, 4 Aug 1977, Asheboro, Randolph Co, NC. 5923 This deed made 4 Aug 1977 by L. Steve Byrd and wife Joan H. Byrd to Robert H. Lindley and wife Shirley C. Lindley, last in Asheboro Township, Randolph County, NC, beginning at an iron pipe in the southern right of way line of Kivett Street in the City of Asheboro, ... Lee Street, ... J. E. Gregson's northwest corner, ... Gregson's southwest corner, Hazel Cranford's northern boundary, ... Arthur L. York's northern boundary. ... Land conveyed to grantor in Book 1070 page 394.
• Residence: 531 W Kivett St, Aug 1977, Asheboro, Randolph Co, NC.
• Property: Lot at Twin Harbor Camping Resort, 7 Oct 1978, Montgomery Co, NC. Purchased a lot in a camping resort which Bob and Shirley fixed up for their pop-up camping trailer. They owned Lot 34, section A, as shown in Montgomery Co Map Book 8, page 25. The mortgage for the property was $4200, which was paid off on Sept 19 1983 when they sold the property. (based on papers found at their home)
• Property: Received 5 acres from Gladys Lindley, 3 Jan 1980, Chatham Co, NC. 5591,5592 Gladys gave Bob and Shirley the 5 western-most remaining acres of Woodlin. She did this in two deeds, one at the end of 1979 and one at the beginning of 1980, presumably to spread the gift across two tax years. As a result of this, Bob and Shirley own 25 acres on the west side of Woodlin.
• Property: Land swap with Clint, 7 Jul 1982, Chatham Co, NC. 5059,5060 Bob and Shirley swapped land with Clint so that he could more easily sell some property. Bob and Shirley gave 10 acres to Clint, the 10 western-most acres of their property. This was the tract upon which the "Brewer house" was located. In return, Bob and Shirley received sole ownership of the remaining 17.7 acres of Woodlin. This was accomplished by having Gladys give Clint sole ownership of the 17.7 acres (instead of givng half to Clint and half to Bob), and then having Clint give the 17.7 acres to Bob and Shirley (so they in effect received Bob's half share, and in return for giving Clint 10 acres of their property they received Clint's half share of the 17.7 acres). So at the end of this set of transactions Bob and Shirley own the remaining 15 acres of their property, plus the 17.7 acres they just acquired, and Clint owns the 10 acres he just received, plus the 5 acres on the eastern side of Woodlin that he previously owned.
• Property: Buys 5 acres from Clint Lindley, 3 Jan 1984, Chatham Co, NC. 5063,5064 Clint sold Bob and Shirley the 5 acres he owned on the east side of Woodlin. He did this in two deeds, one at the end of 1983 and one at the beginning of 1984, presumably for tax purposes. As a result of this, Bob and Shirley own about 37 acres as a set of contiguous Woodlin property.
• Property: Receives Quit Claim to 17.71 acres, 12 Feb 1992, Chatham Co, NC. 5065 Gladys issued a Quit Claim Deed on the portion of the Woodlin property where she still had a claim, from when she retained a lifetime claim on an acre around the house.
• Property: Easement to Carolina Power & Light, 26 Jul 1994, Chatham Co, NC. 5924 Right of Way Grant made 26 July 1994 between Robert H. Lindley and wife Shirley C. Lindley, in consideration of one dollar paid by Carolina Power & Light Company, grants the Company privilege and easement to go in and upon the tract of land situated in Baldwin Township, containing 10 acres, more or less, being the land described in deeds recorded in Book 312 page 59 [should be page 57] and Book 429 page 829. Recorded 14 Sept 1994.
• Appearance in Document: Deed of adjacent property requires access road, 31 Oct 1994, Chatham Co, NC. 5066 Deed made 31 Oct 1994 between Charles C. Lindley Jr. (unmarred) and Gladys H. Lindley (unmarried), Grantor, and J. P. Riddle, a 1/3 undivided interest, Bruce B. Cameron, a 1/3 undivided interest, and Daniel D. Cameron, a 1/3 undivided interest as tenants in common, Grantee. Grantor, for a valuable consideration paid by the Grantee, sells and conveys unto the Grantee a parcel of land in Baldwin Township, described as follows:
• Residence: "Woodlin", 4204 Manns Chapel Rd, 1995, Chatham Co, NC.
• Property: Sold land on Kivett Street, 30 Nov 1995, Asheboro, Randolph Co, NC. 5925 This deed made 30 Nov 1995 by Robert H. Lindley and wife Shirley C. Lindley to Athmandia Nickles, land in Asheboro Township, Randolph County, NC, beginning at an iron pipe in the southern right of way line of West Kivett Street, northeast corner of James Cox, east of Lee Street, ... northwest corner of Rafeal Berrios, ... northern line of Joybelle Lindley, ... Arthur York, ... containing 0.364 acres more or less. Land conveyed to grantor by Book 1092 page 382.
• Property: Sold 12.16 acres to Chapel in the Pines, 16 Jan 2008, Chatham Co, NC. 5926 Bob and Shirley combined all the four tracts of Woodlin land that they owned into a single parcel of about 37 acres, then sold the back 12.16 acres of the property to the Chapel in the Pines Presbyterian Church, for use for a new church location. This left Bob and Shirley with about 25 acres as a single tract of land, including about half an acre of easement along Manns Chapel Road. This is the land that would be inherited by their children.
• Obituary: The News & Observer, 13 Apr 2017, Raleigh, Wake Co, NC. Robert Haywood Lindley, age 83, died peacefully on Tuesday 4 April 2017 at his home, surrounded by family. Bob was the son of Charles C. Lindley and Gladys Haywood Lindley. He married Shirley Frances Councilman; Bob and Shirley shared 61 remarkable years together. Bob had a 23-year career in the U.S. Air Force, where he was a navigator, an instructor, and was selected for an officer exchange program with the British Royal Air Force. He served in Vietnam where he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross. Bob later joined the faculty of Randolph Technical Institute (now Randolph Community College) where he taught electronics, mathematics and physics. He and Shirley retired to their home in Chatham County where Bob enjoyed sharing his love of nature with his grandchildren. He was a member of Pittsboro Presbyterian Church. Bob is survived by his wife Shirley, his son Les Lindley (and wife Terry), daughter Virginia Wereszynski (and husband Stephen), daughter Carolyn Paquette, five grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. There will be a Celebration of his Life on Saturday 29 April at 2 PM at the Pittsboro Presbyterian Church, 95 East Street, Pittsboro.
• Occupation: Air Force, Teacher.
• Religion: Presbyterian.
• Story. Both Bob and Shirley were in Bonlee, NC, for sophomore year in high school (1949-50), where they dated and established a relationship. When Bob moved to Woodlin in 1950, he began attending Pittsboro High School, but commuted to Bonlee to date Shirley. Graduated from Pittsboro HS in 1952. He was a counselor at Camp New Hope that summer. Bob went to UNC for two quarters, but really did not enjoy school. He joined the Air Force on 3 May 1953. Went to Lackland AFB, TX, for basic training, then TI school and a tour as a TI. Got engaged to Shirley during her freshman year at Peace College, then got married in 1956. He left the Air Force on 2 May 1957 and he and Shirley moved to Woodlin. He returned to UNC on GI Bill. After Les was born, they moved to Victory Village, Chapel Hill in Aug 1958. Ginna was born while the family was living at Victory Village. Bob graduated from UNC with BA in Education Jan 1960, and started grad school. In June 1960 he reenlisted in Air Force, and went to Officer Training School (OTS) at Lackland, AFB. The rest of the family went to Winston-Salem. He graduated with his commission on 20 Sep 1960, then was assigned to Harlingen AFB, TX, in Oct 1960 for General Navigation training (the family went with him). In Aug 1961 he was assigned to Mather AFB, CA, for Bombardier training, and the family moved again. In June 1962 he began Bombardier Instructor work. Carolyn was born in August 1962, so the family moved to a larger house on the same street in July 1963. In 1965 he was part of a team that established a General Navigation training program at Mather. In Aug 1966 Bob took an assignment as an exchange officer with the British Royal Air Force, and the family accompanied him to RAF Manby in Lincolnshire, England. While there Bob was a Navigator instructor, and attended many air shows with the RAF "Macaws" Jet Provost aerobatics team, helping them navigate across Europe to each show. Bob and the family returned to the US in Nov 1969, and moved to Reynoldsburg, Ohio. The family stayed there while Bob took assignments at Clinton County AFB, Ohio for C-119 training, Survival Training, to Lockbourne AFB, Columbus, Ohio, for crew training, and to the Philipines for Jungle Survival training prior to a tour in Vietnam. He was stationed at Phu Cat in May 1970, Tan San Nhut in Sept 1970, and Phan Rang in Dec 1970. In May 1971 Bob returned to the US, rejoined his family, and they moved to Wright-Patterson AFB, Fairborn, Ohio in July 1971 . Bob worked on and received a BS in Electrical Engineering from the Air Force Institute of Technology at WPAFB, then was assigned to Richards-Gebaur AFB, Belton, Missouri in July 1973, where he began work on evaluating and selecting radar systems for the Air Force. In the summer of 1977 Bob retired from the Air Force, and the family moved to Woodlin while Bob looked for a new job. In August 1977 Bob began teaching at Randolph Technical College in Asheboro, NC, and the family moved to Asheboro. Bob taught mathematics and electronics classes, and eventually chaired the electronics department. In June 1995, Bob retired from teaching. He and Shirley moved to Woodlin. They joined the Presbyterian church in Pittsboro.
• Relative. Bob and Shirley are related through the Hadley line. Bob is Shirley's 7th Cousin once removed, and Shirley is Bob's 7th Cousin once removed. In other words, Charlie Manley Councilman is Bob's 7th Cousin. Charles Clinton Lindley is Shirley's 7th Cousin.
Robert married Shirley Frances* COUNCILMAN, daughter of Charlie Manley* COUNCILMAN and Athae Mae* McCAIN, on 24 Mar 1956 in Mt. Vernon Springs, Chatham Co, NC.5541 (Shirley Frances* COUNCILMAN was born on 24 Dec 1934 in Jackson Twp, Union Co, NC and died on 12 May 2020 in Baldwin Twp, Chatham Co, NC.)
Noted events in their marriage were:
• Marriage License, 23 Mar 1956, Chatham Co, NC. 5541 State of North Carolina, Chatham County, Office of Register of Deeds. No. 1595. March 23, 1956. Robert Haywood Lindley having applied to me for a LICENSE for the marriage of Robert Haywood Lindley of Chapel Hill, N.C. Rt.3, aged 22 years, color White, the son of Charles Clinton Lindley and Virginia G. Haywood the father now Living, the mother Living, resident of Chapel Hill, N.C. Rt.3 and Shirley Frances Councilman of Mt. Vernon Spr. N.C., aged 21 years, color White, daughter of Charlie Manley Councilman and Athae Mae McCain the father Living, the mother Living, resident of Mt. Vernon Springs, N.C.
• Marriage, 24 Mar 1956, Mt. Vernon Springs, Chatham Co, NC. 5541 I, Rev. K. M. Misenheimer, Presbyterian Minister, united in matrimony Robert Haywood Lindley and Shirley Frances Councilman the parties licensed above on the 24th day of March, 1956, at Mt. Vernon Springs Presbyterian Church in [blank] Township.
• Story. At their wedding, Bob's father Charles was the best man. The church (and most of the people) was decorated with orchids and camelias by Clint. The flowers were given by Harriet Bridges, who had a nursery in the area. (knowledge of Gladys Lindley, Shirley Councilman Lindley, and Robert H Lindley)