COUNCILMAN, Charlie Manley*
Died at Forsyth Memorial Hospital.
Tombstone says "Charlie Manley Councilman Nov 23 1905 May 9 1966"
Noted events in his life were:
• Appearance in Document: NC Birth Index, 23 Nov 1905, Chatham Co, NC. 5708 Nov 23 1905, Councilman, Charley Manly, no parent listed, book 3 page 167.
• Census, 6 May 1910, Bear Creek Twp, Chatham Co, NC. 5414
• Appearance in Document, 1911, Chatham Co, NC. Shown in 1911 photo of students at Welch School ("Welch School started in early 1900s", Chatham News/Record, 2 May 1996, p7C)
• Census, 4 Feb 1920, Bear Creek Twp, Chatham Co, NC. 5421
• Residence, 1926, Bonlee, Chatham Co, NC.
• Education, 1926, Bonlee, Chatham Co, NC. Graduated from Bonlee High School in 1926 (according to his diploma).
• Research, 1928, Chapel Hill, Orange Co, NC. In the 1928 University of North Carolina yearbook, there is a Charlie M. Councilman listed as a Freshman (so he would have started in 1927). Is this our Charlie? He does not appear in the 1929 yearbook.
• Residence, 1934, Pinetops, Edgecombe Co, NC. 5713
• Story, cir 1940. 271 The family moved around to wherever Charlie was working (on road construction), at least before the children began attending school.
• Appearance in Document: WW2 Draft Registration, cir 1940, North Carolina. 5418 Serial Number 2810; Charlie Manley Councilman; Order Number 2559; Address: Gen'l Delivery, Bonlee, Chatham County, NC; Age 34; born Nov 23 1905 in Bear Creek, NC; Contact person: Mr. or Mrs. John Manley Councilman, father, same address; Employer: Gregory & Poole of South Boston, VA; Place of employment: RFD #2, Ahoskie, Hertford Co, NC; Signature Charlie Manley Councilman.
• Residence, Sep 1949, Bonlee, Chatham Co, NC. After Oppie Councilman died, John M. Councilman asked Charlie and Atha Mae to move from Monroe to live with him in his home in Bonlee. Atha Mae and Shirley cooked, ironed, sewed, cleaned the house and clothing. Manley and Larry took care of the yard. When home from his work travels, Charlie did the maintenance and garden tasks. (recollections of L. E. Councilman)
• Occupation: Office Manager for Hospital Construction, 1950. 5433
• Census, 4 May 1950, Bear Creek Twp, Chatham Co, NC. 5433
• Residence, 1954, Mt. Vernon Springs, Chatham Co, NC.
• Residence, 1966, Winston-Salem, Forsyth Co, NC. 5417 Charlie Manley Councilman was resident of Route 1, Murray Road, Winston-Salem, when he died May 9 1966.
• Story. 577 Worked for Beal Brothers construction company where he managed the books. The Beal Brothers were Sam and Newby Beal. After Sam died in the 1940s, the company folded and Charlie started work at the defense plant in Charlotte, along with John, Johnnie, and Ed. The plant made shells. Charlie worked in the accounting department. Charlie used to take everyone to work in his car, so he was able to get tires and gasoline during the war. After the war, the plant closed but Charlie stayed on to finish up the accounting. After that, Charlie worked for J. A. Jones construction in Charlotte, but he moved a lot in this job. Places included additions to UNC Memorial Hospital in Chapel Hill, Winston-Salem, Williamsburg, and Ft Bragg. When he was offered a job in Goose Bay, he quit and went to work for Fowler Jones Construction company in Winston-Salem. Construction he was involved in included Hanes Mill in Winston-Salem. Athae Mae moved to Winston-Salem with him, and bought a mobile home so she could move the home as he moved, but they never moved again. They lived at Murray Road Trailer Court.
• Social Security Number: 249-05-4284. 5417
• Occupation: Bookkeeper for Construction Company, 1966. 5420
• Obituary: The News and Observer, 10 May 1966, Raleigh, Wake Co, NC. 4944 SILER CITY - Charlie M. Councilman, 60 of Winston-Salem, died Monday. A native of Chatham County, he is survivied by his wife, Mrs. Athae McCain Councilman; one daughter, Mrs. Robert Lindley of Sacramento, Calif., two sons, Manley of Asheboro and Larry of the home; three sisters, Mrs. Floyd Maness of Durham, Mrs. George Allred of Greensboro and Mrs. Harold Haught of Cherry Point; seven brothers, Wilburn of Portsmouth, Va., Marvin of Fayetteville, Odell of Chapel Hill, Ledford and Osborne, both of Greensboro, Howard and Lester, both of Bonlee; four grandchildren. Funeral services will be conducted Wednesday at 2 p.m. at Smith and Buckner Funeral Chapel by the Rev. Homer Phiffer. Burial will be in the Bonlee Cemetery.
• Appearance in Document: Death Certificate, 12 May 1966, Forsyth Co, NC. 5420 Charlie Manley Councilman, b Nov 23 1905 in NC, son of John Manley Councilman and Oppie Jane Beal, married, husband of Athae McCain Councilman, bookkeeper for construction company, residence Route 1, Murray Road, Winston-Salem, NC, d May 9 1966 at Forsyth Memorial Hospital, Winston-Salem. Informant Larry Councilman of Winston-Salem NC. Died of cerebral swelling and hemorhagic infarct (5-7 days) due to cerebral thrombosis (35 days) due to arterioclerosis (years). Autopsy was performed. Buried Bonlee Cemetery, Chatham Co, NC.
Charlie married Athae Mae* McCAIN, daughter of Claude Monroe* McCAIN and Della Eugenia* HELMS, on 25 Dec 1933 in Jackson Twp, Union Co, NC 2797.,5706 (Athae Mae* McCAIN was born on 29 Dec 1914 in Jackson Twp, Union Co, NC,577 died on 30 Jun 1995 in Monroe, Union Co, NC 5714,5715 and was buried on 3 Jul 1995 in Jackson Twp, Union Co, NC 5715.)
Noted events in their marriage were:
• Marriage, 25 Dec 1933, Waxhaw, Union Co, NC. 2797 Marriage License dated Dec 25 1933 in Union County, NC. Charlie Manley Councilman of Bonlee, NC, age 28, son of J. M. Councilman and Oppie Jane Councilman, both living, residents of Bonlee, and Atha Mae McCain of Waxhaw, age 18, daughter of Claude M. McCain and Della McCain, both living, residents of Waxhaw. Marriage performed 25 Dec 1933 at Walkersville Presbyterian Church. Witnessed by Edna Boyce McCain of Waxhaw.
• Story, 25 Dec 1933, Jackson Twp, Union Co, NC. 577 Charlie and Athae Mae were married 25 Dec 1933 at Walkerville Presbyterian Church.
• Marriage, 25 Dec 1933, Union Co, NC. 5706 Charlie M. Councilman, age 28, maried Atha Mae McCain, age 18.
• Marriage, 1933, Union Co, NC. 5710 Atha Mae McCain married Charlie M. Councilman in 1933, recorded in book 9 page 44.
• Marriage Article: The Charlotte Observer, 6 Jan 1934, Charlotte, Mecklenburg Co, NC. 5713 WAXHAW - A marriage of interest in Union County was that of Miss Athae Mae McCain and Charlie Councilman, which was solemnized Christmas evening at 7 o'clock at the home of Rev. H. A. Key of Walkersville Presbyterian church. Mrs. Councilman is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C. M. McCain. Mr. Councilman is the oldest son of Mr. and Mrs. John Councilman, of Bonlee. They left Wednesday for the home of the bridegroom. They will make their home in Pinetop, N. C.