OWENS, Allen Woodward
Noted events in his life were:
• Alt. Birth, 16 Jul 1922, Anne Arundel Co, MD. 11429
• Alt. Birth, 16 Jul 1923, Birdsville, Anne Arundel County, Maryland, United States. 11425
• Alt. Birth, 16 Jul 1923, Maryland. 10376
• Alt. Birth, 16 Jul 1923. 10377
• Census, 9 Apr 1930, South River, Anne Arundel Co, MD. 10694
• Census, 24 Apr 1940, District 1, Anne Arundel County, Maryland, United States. 10194
• Education: Graduated from Annapolis High School: Annapolis, MD. 11429
• Occupation: U.S. Govt Experiment Station, 1942, Annapolis, MD. 11425
• Residence, 1942, Birdsville, Anne Arundel County, Maryland, United States. 11425
• Appearance in Document: WW2 Draft Registration, 29 Jun 1942, Anne Arundel Co, MD. 11425 Allen Woodward Owens, resident of Birdsville, Anne Arundel Co, MD, mailing address Harwood P.O., Anne Arundel Co, MD, age 18, born 16 July 1923 in Birdsville, contant John E. Owens Sr., same address, employer U.S. Govt, Experiment Station, Annapolis, MD, height 6'1", weight 212, gray eyes, brown hair, ruddy complexion, appendix scar, 29 June 1942..
• Military Service. 11429 There is an entry in "World War II Young American Patriots, 1941-1945" database at Ancestry.com. This is a book like a yearbook, with photos and brief biographies. The entry says: Owens, Allen Woodward. S/Sgt, U.S. Army (18th Inf. Regt.) Born July 16, 1922. Entered service Aug. 26, 1943, Camp Wheeler, Ga.; Ft. Meade, Md.; Camp Standish Mass.; Walter Reed Hosp., D.C.; Stark Gen. Hosp., S.C.; Wilson Gen. Hosp., Va.; Eng.; Normandy, France. Wounded in action at Mortain [Normandy] Aug. 6, 1944. PH [Purple Heart], CIB [Combat Infantry Badge], P. Unit Cit., G. Cond. M., VM, Amer., EAME. Annapolis H.S. Episcopalian. Son of Mr. and Mrs. John E. Owens, Sr. Husband of Ioyl V. Myers Owens, Annapolis, Md.
• Military Service: Enlisted in Army, 26 Aug 1943, Georgia. 11429
• Military Service: Enlisted in Army, 27 Sep 1943, Baltimore, MD. 11427 Allen W. Owens, married, rank Private, born 1923 in Maryland, resident of Anne Arundel County, MD, 1 year of high school.
• Military Service: Enlisted in Army, 18 Oct 1943. 10377
• Military Service: Wounded in France on D-Day, 6 Aug 1944. 11423 Newspaper article "Wounded in France" in Annapolis Capital on 30 Aug 1944: Allen Woodward Owens. Private Owens, son of Mr. and Mrs. John E. Owens, Birdsville, and husband of Mrs. Allen W. Owens, was wounded in France on August 6, after landing on the Normandy coast on D-Day. He was taken by air to a hospital in Great Britain where he is recovering.
• Military Service: Wounded, 6 Aug 1944, Mortain, Normandy, France. 11429
• Appearance in Document: Newspaper Article, 20 Mar 1945, Annapolis, MD. 11424 "G. I. News" S/Sgt. Allen Woodward Owens and his wife are visiting his parents, Mr. and Mrs. John E. Owens, Sr., of Harwood Maryland. Sergeant Owens was wounded August 6, when he participated in the battle of Mortain, France and has been in a hospital in England until he was sent back to the States, February 1, on a hospital ship. He was then sent to a hospital in Charleston, S. C., and later moved to the Woodrow Wilson Hospital in Virginia He is now enjoying a thirty day leave.
• Military Service: Discharged from Army, 16 Feb 1946. 10377
• Occupation: Taxi Cab Driver, 1950. 10693
• Census, 26 Apr 1950, District 1, Anne Arundel County, Maryland, United States. 10693
• Residence, 1971, Birdsville, Anne Arundel County, Maryland, United States. 10695
• Residence, 1971, Edgewater, Anne Arundel Co, MD. 10698
• Research: Doubt about Utah, after 1971. I am not convinced that our Allen W. Owens is the same as the person who is married in Bexar County, TX, and then living in Sevier County, Utah later in life. They are the same age based on the marriage records, but there are other Allen W. Owens people around the country of similar age. It's not clear why he would be buried back in Birdsville MD if he had established a life in Utah. However, the death date on his tombstone in Birdsville (10 Jan 1989) matches the death date on Social Security records (Jan 1989) for the Allen W. Owens who died in Sevier County, so maybe they are the same person.
• Story: Double marriages to Shirley Hall. There seem to be two marriages between Allen W. Owens and Shirley Hall. One in Bexar County, TX in 1980, and then a marriage license issued for Allen W. Owens and Shirley Hall Owens in Sevier County, Utah, in 1986.
• Residence: Richfield, Sevier Co, UT. Allen W Owens b 16 Jul 1922 address PO Box 324, Richfield, UT (no date given) (US Public Records Index at Ancestry.com)
• Occupation: Truck Driver.
• Religion: Catholic.
• Alt. Death, Jan 1989. 11428
• Alt. Death: Anne Arundel Co, MD. Posting at Ancestry.com states death place as Anne Arundel Co, MD, but I believe that is just because tombstone is there. Since his residence at death was in Utah (per Social Security records) it is not clear where he actually died.
Allen had a relationship with Ivyl Virginia MYERS. (Ivyl Virginia MYERS was born on 10 Oct 1924 in Maryland,10719 died on 20 Feb 2011 in Harwood, Anne Arundel County, Maryland, United States 10719 and was buried in Annapolis, MD 10719.)
Allen had a relationship with Mary Margaret Patricia Ann* CAMPBELL, daughter of Thomas Edward* CAMPBELL and Mary Joseph Agnes* KINSEY. (Mary Margaret Patricia Ann* CAMPBELL was born on 17 Mar 1933 in Washington, DC 10086,10370,10371 and died on 27 Sep 2013 in Baltimore, MD 5649.)
Noted events in their marriage were:
• Marriage License, 27 May 1980, Bexar Co, TX. 11426 Shirley Hall Pugh and Allen Woodward Owens, marriage license on 27 May 1980 in Bexar, TX.
• Marriage, 27 May 1980, Bexar Co, TX. 11422 Allen W. Owens Sr., age 57, and Shirley H. Hall, age 36, married 27 May 1980 in Bexar, TX.
• Marriage License, cir 2 Apr 1986, Sevier Co, UT. 11430 Allen Woodward Owens Sr., 63, and Shirley Hall Owens, 42, both Monroe.