- Born: 14 Nov 1859, Chatham County, North Carolina, United States 643,645,3321,3861
- Marriage (1): COUNCILMAN, Milo* on 4 Apr 1878
- Died: 26 Aug 1890, Chatham County, North Carolina, United States 3861
- Buried: Prosperity Friends, High Falls, Moore County, North Carolina, United States 3861
Other names for Martha were COUNCILMAN, Martha J.,418,419,3321,3856,3861 WELCH, Martha 643 and WELCH, Martha J..49
Birthdate 14 Nov 1859 from tombstone
Deathdate 26 Aug 1890 from tombstone
Tombstone says "Martha J Councilman Born Nov 14 1859 Died Aug 26 1890"
Noted events in her life were:
1. Census, 9 Jun 1860, Western Division, Chatham County, North Carolina, United States. 643
1) Alvis Welch, age 23, farmer, $332 personal estate, born NC
2) Sarah Welch, age 22, born NC
3) Martha Welch, age 7/12, born NC
2. Census, 26 Sep 1870, Bear Creek Twp, Chatham County, North Carolina, United States. 645
1) Welch, Alvis, age 34, farmer, $200 real estate, $400 personal estate, born NC
2) Welch, Phynitta, age 23, keeping house, born NC
3) Welch, Martha Jane, age 10, at home born NC, cannot write
4) Welch, Franklin, age 9, at home, born NC
5) Welch, Emily Green, age 6, at home, born NC
6) Welch, Elmodang, age 2, male, at home, born NC
7) Welch, Charles M., age 2/12, at home, born NC, born April.
3. Appearance in Document: Quaker Meeting Membership, 1 Jun 1878, Cane Creek Mtg, Alamance County, North Carolina, United States. 419,3856 Milo Councilman and wife, Martha J., received by request.
"C. C. Mtg held at C. C. 6 mo 1st 1878 ... They also report the names of Milo Councilman and wife Martha J. Councilman of Prosperity who request to become members of this Mtg with whom the Mtg has unity & they are minuted members accordingly."
4. Appearance in Document, 20 Jan 1879, Moore County, North Carolina, United States. Will of Alvis Welsh mentions dau Martha J Councilman. (Moore County Will Book D, p117)
5. Census, 24 Jun 1880, Ritter Twp, Moore County, North Carolina, United States. 3321
1) Councilman, George C., age 69, married, farmer, born NC, parents born NC
2) Councilman, Elisabeth, age 65, wife, married, keeps house, born NC, parents born NC
3) Councilman, Peter, age 34, son, single, farmer, born NC, parents born NC
4) Councilman, Milo, age 32, son, married, farmer, born NC, parents born NC
5) Councilman, Martha J., age 20, wife, married, keeps house, born NC, parents born NC
6) Councilman, Jesse, age 1, son, born NC, parents born NC.
6. Appearance in Document: Transfer Quaker membership to Holly Spring, 6 Apr 1889, Prosperity Prep Mtg, Moore County, North Carolina, United States. 418,419 Milo Councilman and wife, Martha J., and minors, John, Ella and George, members of Prosperity Preperatory Mtg, transferred with that mtg to Holly Spring Mtg.
"Cane Creek Mo Meeting held 4 mo 6 1889 ... Prosperity Preparative meeting, composed of the following members, viz Robt Paschal, Milo Councilman, John W. Shelds, Jeremiah Finnison, Thos. W. Phillips, Zacharias Boroughs, Wm. Hill, Martha J. Councilman, Elizabeth Finnison, Lydia Shields, Margaret Brady, Sallie Cole, Ellen Finnison, Margaret Phillips, Esperann Phillips, Mary Brady, Annie McInstosh, Anna Boroughs, Isablla Moon, Ida Finnison, Ellen Brady, Sallie Deaton, minor members John Councilman, Ella Councilman, Geo Councilman, Jas E. Philips, Perley Philips, Martha A. Philips, after due deliberation requests a certificate conveying their right of membership to Holly Spring Monthly meetg on account of th edistance being much shorter. After deliberation the request is granted and a certificate as per request is signed on behald of meeting by clerks."
Martha married Milo* COUNCILMAN, son of George Clinton* COUNCILMAN and Elizabeth* ALLEN, on 4 Apr 1878. (Milo* COUNCILMAN was born on 7 Jan 1847 in Chatham County, North Carolina, United States,49,406,407,411,412,413,432,3321,3855 died on 4 Feb 1918 in Bear Creek Twp, Chatham County, North Carolina, United States 49,3323,3855 and was buried on 5 Feb 1918 in Prosperity Friends, High Falls, Moore County, North Carolina, United States 3323,3855.). The cause of his death was La Grippe (influenza).
Noted events in their marriage were:
1. Story. 401 Milo Councilman married first to Martha J Welch.