(abt 1812-between 1894/1896)
Another name for Eli* was WELSH, Eli.379
Still living when will is writtten in May 1894. Deceased by proving of will in Feb 1896.
Noted events in his life were:
• Alt. Birth, between 1810 and 1820. 378
• Census, 1840, Chatham Co, NC. 378 Eli Welch entry includes:
• Census, 29 Nov 1850, Upper Regiment, Chatham Co, NC. 374
• Census, 9 Jun 1860, Western Division, Chatham Co, NC. 375
• Census, 15 Sep 1870, Bear Creek Twp, Chatham Co, NC. 376
• Appearance in Document: Alvis Welch Mortgage, 25 Dec 1878, Chatham Co, NC. 380 Milow Councilman of Moore County provides a mortgage to Alvis Welch of Moore County, with collateral being 80 acres of land owned by Alvis Welch in Chatham County on the county line and bordering Eli Welch.
• Appearance in Document, 20 Jan 1879, Moore Co, NC. Will of [son] Alvis Welsh mentions father Eli Welsh (co-executor). (Moore County Will Book D, p117)
• Census, 3 Jun 1880, Bear Creek Twp, Chatham Co, NC. 379
• Appearance in Document, 15 Mar 1883, Chatham Co, NC. Peter Councilman of Moore Co sold to Milo Councilman of Moore Co, for $750, 316 acres in Chatham Co on waters of Maple Fork, a branch of Tyson's Creek, bordering Thomas Hill, Eli Welsh, and Harper. (Chatham Co Deed book BN, p263)
• Will, 7 May 1894, Chatham Co, NC. Will of Eli Welch mentions wife Emily (gets 130 acres where they live), son Benj M Welch (gets land after Emily dies), Benj's heirs Lucian Welch and Eli Welch, friend Laban Moon (executor), dated 7 May 1894, proved 11 Feb 1896. (Chatham Co Will Book F, p17)
• Probate, 11 Feb 1896, Chatham Co, NC. Will of Eli Welch dated 7 May 1894, proved 11 Feb 1896. (Chatham Co Will Book F, p17)
• Probate: Estate Inventory. 377 Sale of estate of Eli Welch. Items sold include Jersey Waggon, subsoil plow, dinner table, small table & Toilet, loom, sleighs, loom harness, skillet & lid, coffee kettle, cups and saucers, dishes, goblets, steelyards, cross cut saw, clock, chest, bureau, corner cupboard, sewing machine, looking glass, rocking chair, iron wedge, wash tub, smiths tools, molasses keg, cow, yearling, hatchet, drawing knife.
• Occupation: Farmer.
• Story. 381 WELCH is the 223rd most common name in the US. WELCH meant "the foreigner" or "stranger" in England.