MARLETTE, Clarence Roney 4636,4637
- Born: 29 Sep 1883, Alamance County, North Carolina, United States 4637
- Marriage: BLALOCK, Freddie Birtain on 25 Dec 1904 in Burlington, Alamance County, North Carolina, United States 4635
- Died: 13 Jun 1956, Burlington, Alamance County, North Carolina, United States 4636,4637
- Buried: Pine Hill Cemetery, Burlington, Alamance County, North Carolina 4636,4637,4638
Noted events in his life were:
1. Alt. Birth, Sep 1883, Alamance County, North Carolina, United States. 1572
2. Alt. Birth, 1884. 4638
3. Census, 9 Jun 1900, Burlington Twp, Alamance County, North Carolina, United States. 1572
1) Marlette, George, head of household, born Mar 1856, age 44, married for 22 years, born NC, parents born NC, carpenter, owns his home free
2) Marlette, Phoeba J., wife, born Feb 1860, age 40, married for 22 years, 8 children, 6 living, born NC, parents born NC, housekeeper
3) Marlette, James E., son, born July 1879, age 20, single, born NC, carpenter
4) Marlette, Joseph M., son, born Sept 1882, age 17, born NC, carpenter
5) Marlette, Clarence, son, born Sept 1883, age 16, born NC, dealer-confections
6) Marlette, Mary, daughter, born May 1886, age 14, born NC, at school, attends school
7) Marlette, Lester, son, born May 1890, age 10, born NC, attends school
8) Marlette, Thelma, daughter, born Dec 1898, age 1, born NC.
4. Obituary: The Dailey Times News, 13 Jun 1956, Burlington, Alamance County, North Carolina, United States. 4636 Clarence Roney Marlette, 72, of Old Alamance Road, owner of the first automotive garage in Alamance County, died in a local hospital this morning at 7:15 o'clock, following three months of failing health. He was considered one of the most outstanding mechanics the area ever has produced.
Mr. Marlette was a native of Alamance County and had been a resident of Burlington for the past 60 years.
He was the son of the late George M. and Mrs. Phoebe Lindley Marlette, and he was a member of the First Congregational Christian Church. His wife, Mrs. Freddy Blalock Marlette, died in 1932.
In the early 1900's he opened the first auto garage in the county, at a time when there were only seven cars here. His garage was located at 210 West Front Street.
He worked for a while with his father in the building business, and was a machinist at Aurora Mills for a short time. During World War I he worked in the railroad shops at Spencer, and he worked in a Durham machine shop doing defense work in World War II.
Mr. Marlette gained nation-wide recognition for building miniature engines, and these engines being displayed at the New York Worlds Fair in 1938 and on a road tour.
For the past 10 years he had operated a machine shop beside his home on the Old Alamance Road.
Surviving are two sons, Goley R. Marlette of High Point and C. Willard Marlette of Burlington; one sister, Mrs. John W. Long of High Point, two grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
Final rites will be held tomorrow morning at 11 o'clock at Rich and Thompson Chapel. Dr. Henry E. Robinson, pastor of the First Congregational Christian Church, will conduct the service, assisted by Rev. Wayne Fouts, pastor of St. John's Evangelical and Reformed Church.
Burial will be in Pine Hill Cemetery.
5. Appearance in Document: Death Certificate, 24 Jun 1956, Alamance County, North Carolina, United States. 4637 Clarence Roney Marlette, born 29 Sept 1883 in Alamance County, child of George M. Marlette and Phoebe Lindley, retired machinist, resident of Old Alamance Road, Burlington, widowed, husband of Freddy Blalock Marlette, never in armed forces, died June 13 1956 at Alamance County Hospital, Burlington. Informant Mr. G. R. Marlette of High Point. Buried 6/14/56 at Pine Hill, Burlington.
Clarence married Freddie Birtain BLALOCK on 25 Dec 1904 in Burlington, Alamance County, North Carolina, United States.4635 (Freddie Birtain BLALOCK was born on 4 Jan 1884 in North Carolina, United States,4639 died on 13 Oct 1932 in Burlington Twp, Alamance County, North Carolina, United States 4639 and was buried on 15 Oct 1932 in Pine Hill Cemetery, Burlington, Alamance County, North Carolina 4639,4640.)
Noted events in their marriage were:
1. Marriage, 25 Dec 1904, Burlington, Alamance County, North Carolina, United States. 4635 Clarance Rony Marlett, age 21 married Freddie Birtain Blalock, age 19.