|WEST, William Cummins
(Abt 1818-After 1880)
WEST, William Cummins
Noted events in his life were:
1. Property, Apr 1820, Bladen County, North Carolina, United States. Deed from John Smith to Wm West, both of Bladen Co. John sold Wm land "beginning above the Gum Branch called Davy Gum" for $200. This tract was sold to John Smith by Solomon Davis. Proven in Aug 1828 court term. (Bladen County, NC, Deed Book 11 page 487, posted on Bladen Co Rootsweb site) [There is a swampy area called David Gam Bay SE of the town of Ammon in NE Bladen County. The creek from this area feeds into Turnbull Creek]
2. Property, 9 Oct 1839, Bladen County, North Carolina, United States. William C West to John Smith [William's father-in-law], 100 acres on E side of Ellis Creek, witnessed by Daniel L Smith (Bladen Co Deed Book 8, p14).
3. Appearance in Document, Oct 1843, Bladen County, North Carolina, United States. William C West and Martha West are among the members of Beaverdam Baptist Church that are dismissed to found Briar Branch Baptist Church, both churches in Bladen County. The list of members that are dismissed includes Daniel L. Smith, Daniel Smith, Daniel Register, George W. Downing, William D. Smith, Sarah A. Smith, Mary A. Downing, Elizabeth Smith, Anna M. Tatum, Elsa McLemore, May J. Tatum, Mary Register, John Smith Sr., Evin Downing, John H. Tatum, William J. Cowan, John D. Smith, Mary Smith, Susan Smith, Martha Smith, Elizabeth A. Downing, Susan Smith Sr., James Smith, Theophlus Tatum, Wright McLemore, John Downing, James S. Beard, Milton J. Smith, Thomas B. Cowan, Mary Downing, Pen[n]y Hayes, Claressa Beard, Susan Smith, Zillpha Smith. (posted at Bladen Co Rootweb site)
4. Census, 25 Sep 1850, Eastern Division, Cumberland County, North Carolina, United States. 669
5. Census, 1860, Cumberland County, North Carolina, United States. Wm C West, age 42, sawyer, property 75, living with Martha (42), Anna C (18, cotton mill), Mary E (16, cotton mill), Daniel H (14), Susan (12, cotton mill), Duncan (10), and Wm A (5). (Cumberland Co, Cumb East, Fayetteville Po, P366, Family 770)
6. Census, 1870, Cumberland County, North Carolina, United States. Cummings C West is 55, baptist preacher, b NC, with Patsey (53, keeping house), Daniel (26, farm hand), Duncan (20, farm hand), William (15, farm hand). Also in household is Frances Jones (22, female, domestic service). (Cedar Creek PO, Cedar Creek Twp, Cumberland Co, NC, family 338)
7. Census, 1880, Cumberland County, North Carolina, United States. W C West, age 63, farmer, living with wife Martha J (63, keeping house). (Cumberland Co, Flea Hill Twp, P378d)
8. Occupation: Farmer. 669
9. Religion: Baptist.
William married Martha J. SMITH, daughter of John G.* SMITH and Susan* McLEMORE, on 30 Nov 1844 in Cumberland County, North Carolina, United States. (Martha J. SMITH was born on 9 May 1818 in Bladen County, North Carolina, United States and died on 11 May 1916 in Cumberland County, North Carolina, United States.)
Noted events in their marriage were:
1. Marriage Notice, 30 Nov 1844, Cumberland County, North Carolina, United States. William West married Martha Smith (marriage records of Cumberland Co).