Noted events in his life were:
1. Census, 1840, Cumberland County, North Carolina, United States. Haywood Gainey is male 30-40, with 2 males under 5, 1 male 5-10, 1 female 5-10, 1 female 20-30. (Cumberland Co, NC, p263)
2. Property, 1840 to 1864, Cumberland County, North Carolina, United States. Between 1840 and 1864, there are several deeds where Haywood Gainey sells land in Cumberland County.
3. Census, 1850, Cumberland County, North Carolina, United States. Haywood Gainey is 45, farmer, living with Catherine (37), Elva A (17, female), Abraham (15, laborer), James A (13), John (11), Christian (9, male), Rebecca (7), Charles W (5), and Elizabeth J (3). (Cumberland Co, Eastern Division, p59)
4. Occupation: Farmer.
5. Story. [This is an interesting name, as the Haywoods and Gaineys are married within my ancestry. Tracking this family may turn up something useful.]
6. Cemetery: Haywood Gainey Family Cemetery, Cumberland County, North Carolina, United States. The Haywood Gainey Family Cemetery is located about 4 1/2 miles north of Stedman in Eastover Township, Cumberland County. From S.R. 1826 (Wade - Stedman Road), northeast 1.06 miles on S.R. 1006 (Maxwell Road), northwest 100 yards behind buildings. The graves there include Haywood Gainey (d 24 Sep 1881 aged 78 yrs), his wife Catherine (Geddie) Gainey (d 20 Sep 1911 aged 63 yrs), Gilead Gainey (10 Nov 1855 - 26 Apr 1935) and his wife Mary (Culbreth) Gainey (7 Sep 1858 - 18 Jan 1911), J.S.Gainey (1 Jun 1822 - 11 Feb 1887) and his wife Annie E (Maxwell) Gainey (4 Jan 1829 - 25 Oct 1916). (tombstone transcriptions posted under Culbreth Family Cemetery on USGenWeb Archives site) [The 1850 Census shows Catherine to be born ca 1812, but the tombstone transcription shows her born ca 1846, which is after several of the children were born. Unless there are two Catherines, the tombstone transcription must be incorrect]
7. Story. Would very much appreciate any info about John Gainey m. Kitty Wood and had children, Haywood, William, Ashford, Holly, Elija, Rit, Phoebe, John Saule, Janet, Allen, and Christian. Haywood Gainey m. Catherine Geddie and had children, Elva Ann (my g grand mother), James Allen, Christian J., Rebecca, Jane, Abram, William Ashford, John, Charles W., and Elizabeth. This info is from a Strickland family Bible. These families lived in Cumberland Co. NC. I have a little more info on the siblings but would very much like to know more and to go further back in this line. Thanks for any help. (Posted on Gainey Genforum by Virginia Oswald on 16 Feb 1999)
Haywood married Catherine GEDDIE. (Catherine GEDDIE was born about 1812, died on 20 Sep 1911 and was buried in Haywood Gainey Family Cemetery, Cumberland County, North Carolina, United States.)