Tombstone inscription in Waxhaw Presbyterian Churchyard, Lancaster Co, SC: Major John Barkley d Jan 10 1796, aged 76 years.
Noted events in his life were:
1. Occupation: Major, Colonel, Revolutionary War soldier.
2. Religion: Presbyterian.
3. Story. 88 Major John Barkley and his wife Agnes had ten children of whom we have record, four sons and six daughters. Three of these daughters married Montgomerys.
4. Story. 3662 Children of John Barkley and Agnes were John Jr (m Janet), William (m Elizabeth), Robert (m Sarah), Thomas (m Elizabeth), unknown daughter (m William Allen), Martha (m William Cousar), Margaret (m Hugh Montgomery), Agnes (m William Montgomery), unknown (m unknown Davies), and Mary Ann (m Joseph Montgomery).
5. Probate, 1 Feb 1799. 3662 Will of John Barkley, deceased. We, the undersigners, are entitled to a distributive share thereof, made over to William Barkley, all our rights, titles and interest. Signed by William Allen, Robert Barkley, William Cousar, John Barkley, Hugh Montgomery, William Montgomery. N.B. Nathan Barr ... saw ... Wm Allen, for himself and for Hugh Montgomery of the State of Georgia.
6. Probate, 26 Oct 1801. 3662 By will of said John Barkley, deceased, directed to be divided into nine shares, one share or ninth of which being willed to us, we, Hugh Montgomery of Jackson Co, State of Georgia, and William Montgomery of Lancaster District SC, released to William Barkley our share.
John married Agnes UNKNOWN.