|MARLETTE, William M.
MARLETTE, William M.
Tombstone at Spring Mtg says William Marlette, b 12-26-1858, d 3-2-1940. He was husband of Hannah, son of John F Marlette and Mary Grahams. Adjacent tombstone is for Hannah E Zachary Marlette, b 8-24-1861, d 3-2-1921.
Noted events in his life were:
1. Census, 1880, Alamance County, North Carolina, United States. William Marlett [maybe this one] is 21, farmhand, single. He is son of Job F Marlett (53, farmer, single). This is the only William Marlette appearing in NC online index. (Alamance Co, Newlin Twp, NC, p2D) Next door is George and Phebe Marlett.
2. Census, 1900, Alamance County, North Carolina, United States. William Marlette is born Dec 1858 in NC, married for 17 years to Hannah, a farmer, with children Ella L (b Feb 1884), John W (b Jan 1886, farm laborer), Jonathan L (b Sep 1889, farm laborer), Thomas E (b Dec 1891), Alfred C (b Jul 1894), and Mary A (b Jan 1897) (Alamance Co., Newlin Twp, ED 8, sheet 18, line 63)
3. Census, 1910, Newlin Twp, Alamance County, North Carolina, United States. William Marlette is 51, Farmer, owns his farm, married to Hannah E for 27 years. Hannah is 48, with 7 children, all living. She is 48. Children are John W (24, carpenter), Johnathan (20, farm laborer), Thomas E (18, farm laborer), Alfred C (15, farm laborer), Mary A (13), and Alene D (8). Living with them is a cousin, Nannie Braxton, age 66, widow. All are born in NC, with parents born in NC. Children from Johnathan to Alene D are attending
4. Census, 1920, Newlin Twp, Alamance County, North Carolina, United States. William Marlette is 61, owns his home free, farmer, married to Hannah, 58 (census shows her as male), with children Thomas (28), Mary E (22), Allene (18), and Alfred C (25). Next door is Jonathan L Marlette, 30, carpenter, owns his home free, with wife Riva M (27), and daughter Fay M (6). (Alamance Co, Newlin Twp, Pittsboro Road, ED 11, sheet 1B, homes 14 and 15) [1920 Census Index says Alamance Co, ED 16, sheet 11, family 69, but that is incorr
5. Census, 1930, Alamance County, North Carolina, United States. Wm Marlette is 71, owns his farm, not a veteran. He is living alone, but next door to son J L Marlette. Wm was first married when he was 24. (Alamance Co, Newlin Twp, ED 11, dwelling 117)
6. Residence, 1940, Graham, Alamance County, North Carolina, United States. William Marlette was resident of Rt 2, Graham, when he died on Mar 3 1940, according to death certificate.
7. Appearance in Document: Death Certificate, 3 Mar 1940, Alamance County, North Carolina, United States. William Marlette, resident of Rt 2, Graham, widowed husband of Hannah E Zachary, born Dec 26 1858 in Alamance Co, farmer, father Franklin Marlette, mother "was a Zachary", died Mar 3 1940 in Newlin Twp, Alamance Co, NC, informant Lawrence Marlette of Rt 2 Graham, died of cerebral hemorhage, burial at Spring. Record found at Ancestry.com.
8. Occupation: Farmer.
9. Religion: Quaker.
William married Hannah E. ZACHARY, daughter of Jonathan ZACHARY and Martha McBANE, about 1883. (Hannah E. ZACHARY was born on 24 Aug 1861 in Chatham County, North Carolina, United States,3418 died on 2 Mar 1921 in Alamance County, North Carolina, United States and was buried in Spring Mtg Cemetery, Alamance County, North Carolina, United States.)