David Lindley, b 4-28-1729 [sic, should be 4-28-1799] (West Union MM records).
Obituary published in 8 Feb 1877 issue of Christian Worker.
Noted events in his life were:
1. Census, 1810, Chatham County, North Carolina, United States. Entry for Aaron Lindley shows 4 males 10-16 [Aaron (11), David (11), Edward (13), Thomas (16)]. (Chatham Co, P194)
2. Residence, Jun 1832, Morgan County, Indiana, United States. David Lindley owns property in Morgan Co, IN. In land records for Twp 13 1W, he owns W 1/2 of SE 1/4 of section 3, acquired in March 1836. This is adjacent to James Lindley, Joshua Lindley, Owen Lindley, Ruth Lindley, and Edward Lindley. In section 4 (just west of section 3), he owns the entire SE 1/4 of the section, acquired in June 1832. This is adjacent to Aaron Lindley's section 3 property. Adjacent to David's section 4 property, in sect
3. Residence, 1 Feb 1834, Cane Creek Mtg, Orange County, North Carolina, United States. 391 David and Mary Lindley and children moved from Cane Creek Mtg, NC, to White Lick Mtg, Indiana.
4. Appearance in Document: Quaker Minutes, 12 Mar 1834, White Lick Mtg, Morgan County, Indiana, United States. 1234,2396 David Lindley and sons Milton, Aaron, and Elwood received on certificate from Cane Creek MM.
5. Appearance in Document: Quaker Minutes, 17 Aug 1836, White Lick Mtg, Morgan County, Indiana, United States. 2397 8th mo 17th 1836. Our beloved friend David Lindley expressed a willingness to accompany our friend James Hadley in a part of his proposed visit to most of the meetings constituting Indian Yearly Meeting and to appoint some meetings amongst those not of our society with which the meeting united, and left him at liberty he bing a member with whom we have unity.
6. Appearance in Document: Quaker Minutes, 16 Nov 1836, White Lick Mtg, Morgan County, Indiana, United States. 2399 11 mo 16 1836. Our beloved friend David Lindley returned the minute which was granted in 8 month last liberating him to accompany our friend James Hadley in a part of his visit to the meetings constituting Indiana Yearly Meeting, and reported that he had accompanied him as far as he had a prospect of, also produced copies of minutes from Springfield, Dover, Lick Creek, Center, Blue River, Driftwood, Newberry, Fairfield and Fall Creek Monthly Meetings also copies of minutes from New Garden and Blue River Quarterly Meetings all of them stating that his company was satisfactory to them, which was a satisfaction to this meeting.
7. Residence, 1840, Morgan County, Indiana, United States. In 1840 Tax Records of Morgan Co, David Lindley is listed with 160 acres, Twp 13 North of Range 1 West, SE 1/4 of sec 40. He also has 80 acres in E 1/2 of SE 1/4 of sec 1. The same township includes Edward Lindley, Robert McCracken, Owen Lindley, Aaron Lindley, and Joshua Hadley. James Lindley is in Twp 14.
8. Census, 1840, Morgan County, Indiana, United States. David Linley is age 40-50, living with 2 males under 5 [Cyrus and Addison], 2 males 5-10 [Elwood and Samuel], 1 male 10-15 [Aaron], 1 male 20-30 [Milton], 1 female under 5 [Naomi], 1 female 10-15 [Ann], 2 females 15-20 [Asenath and Matilda], and 1 female 30-40 [Mary] (Indiana, Morgan Co, p611)
9. Residence, 1849, West Union Mtg, Morgan County, Indiana, United States. 1336 David Lindley is charter member.
10. Census, 1850, Morgan County, Indiana, United States. David Lindley is 57, farmer, born NC, living with Mary (47, born NC), Asenath (25, born NC), Elwood (18, farmer, born NC), Cyrus (14, born IN), Addison (12, born IN), Naomi (10, born IN), Alfred (6, born IN), Sarah (2, born IN). (Monroe Twp, Morgan Co, IN, family 535)
11. Census, 1860, Morgan County, Indiana, United States. David Lindly is 61, farmer, born NC, living with Mary (58, born NC), Syrus (24, school teacher, born IN), Adison (22, farm hand, born IN), Naomi (20, housework), Alfred (17, farm hand), Sarah E (13). (Mooresville PO, Monroe Twp, Morgan Co, IN, p42, family 562)
12. Residence, 1865, Iowa, United States. David and Mary moved from Indiana to Iowa in 1865. (from article about their son Aaron D Lindley at www.geocities.com/heartland/meadows/8056/bios/aarondlindley.txt, see more details in his entry).
13. Appearance in Document: Quaker Certificate of Removal, 3 Sep 1866, West Union Mtg, Morgan County, Indiana, United States. 1337 To Honey Creek Monthly Meeting of friends, Iowa.
14. Census, 1870, Hardin County, Iowa, United States. David Lindley is 71, farmer, born NC, living with Mary (69, housekeeping, born NC) and Addison (32, druggist, born IN). (El Dora PO, Providence Twp, Hardin Co, IA, p19, family 146)
15. Residence, 1874, Monroe Twp, Morgan County, Indiana, United States. 2400 In 1874, David Lindley appears in a Directory of residents of Monroe Twp, Morgan Co, IN [note this conflicts with the info that he went to Iowa in 1864. But obituary says he died in Iowa, so he went there at some point]. Entry says he is a farmer, living 1 mile NE of Monrovia, born NC 1799, settled in Morgan Co 1833, Friend, Republican.
16. Religion: Quaker.
17. Occupation: Farmer.
18. Story. Posted at Lindley Genforum by Kenneth Lindley (kenneth,firstname.lastname@example.org) on Feb 4 2001: I come in line of David Lindley who was a brother of Owen Lindley. David's family went to Indiana then Iowa. My father, Luke Lindley was born in Iowa in 1875. He went to Colorado where I was born in 1924.
David married Mary HADLEY, daughter of Jonathan HADLEY and Ann LONG, on 9 Sep 1819 in Randolph County, North Carolina, United States. (Mary HADLEY was born on 6 Jul 1802 in Guilford County, North Carolina, United States,1336,2240,2398,2401 died in 1896 in Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California, United States 432 and was buried in Broadway Cemetery, Whittier, Los Angeles County, California 2398.)
Noted events in their marriage were:
1. Marriage Notice, 9 Sep 1819, Randolph County, North Carolina, United States. David Lindley bonded to Mary Hadly in Randolph Co, bondsman Joseph J Brooks, witness J W Long (NC Marriage Bonds, #113024, record 1:168)
2. Story. 2401 Children of David and Mary Lindley are Milton, Matilda, Asenath, Aaron, Ann, Elwood, Samuel, Cyrus, Addison, Naomi, Alfred, Sarah Emlin. (White Lick MM records).
3. Story. 2240 David Lindley, wife Mary, children Milton, Matilda, Asenath C, Aaron, Ann, Elwood, Samuel, Cyrus, Naomi, Alfred, Addison, Sarah Emeline, and birthdates (West Union MM records).
4. Story. 2402 Children of David and Mary Lindley were Milton, Samuel, Addison (had children Luke and Prior), Aaron (had children Jacob P, John, Samuel, David E, and Howard), Cyrus (b 1836, living in Sacramento CA in 1909, had child Chase), Alfred H, Elwood, Matilda, Ann, Sarah E, Naomi, and Asenath.
5. Alt. Marriage Date, 19 Sep 1819. 2398