Based on the age requirement for being in the militia, William must have been born after 1705.
Noted events in his life were:
1. Occupation: Farmer, Miller.
2. Story. 2005 On pages 314 and 315 of Volume One of "The MacNauchtan Saga" by V.V.McNitt, there are lists of marriage records for Northern Ireland. There are several William Nutts listed who were born ca 1700 and any one of them could have been this William Nutt (or maybe none of them).
3. Story. 2006 William was about 35 years old when he bought land from William Beverly on 2 Sept 1740. The deed mentions that Beverly in 1738 agreed to convey 650 acres to Gibbons Jennings, who in turn built a water grist mill. Jennings then agreed on 2 Sept 1740 to convey the land to William Nutt "in consideration of one gray mare named Jenny, Mr. John Lewis' bond for 350 acres either in the Cow or Calf Pasture, 5 shillings cash and 1000 yards of linen." However, Jennings left the area without taking conveyance, and before he had fully paid Beverly for the land, so Nutt brought suit in Orange County Court against Jennings and Beverly. The conveyance was decreed on 27 July 1744, that Beverly was to convey to Nutt, and the deed was recorded 19 Aug 1747. This land is about 4 miles south of Staunton, Virginia. (Deed book 1, p317, Orange County, Va).
4. Story. 2007 In Augusta County deed book 1, page 541-552, is a list of 19 men who had waited for years to have William Beverly's wife Elizabeth release her dower in and convey titles to their lands. On that day (19 Aug 1747), the deed discussed above was recorded. Since William Nutt had a 'bond for 350 acres' to trade, either in the Cow or Calf Pasture, one might assume that he had met John Lewis and had been sold on settling in either the Cow or Calf Pasture, which lay to the west of Beverly Manor, referred to as the "Irish Tract". Perhaps while going through Beverly Manor he met Gibbons Jennings, saw the choice property with streams and a mill, and perhaps a house, and made a deal for the land. Since he had 1000 yards of linen in his possession, it would appear that he had had a mill previously, since linen fabric was brough to a mill to be sized (fulled) and payment would be made by bartering, so the miller ended up with a good supply of linen cloth with which to make payment for other items. Nothing is recorded about a "fulling" mill, rather grist mills are spoken of, but sometimes a mill would perform both tasks. He could have been a weaver, but that amount of cloth seems excessive for one family to weave and keep. The only time his occupation was found was when he sold this land and he was referred to as a "Miller". The William Nutt family had some funds, but he must have 'scraped the bottom of the barrel', for he traded their mare Jenny as part of the payment for the property. She probably had been a great help intransporting them into the valley, but they did purchase their property outright, unlike most of their neighbors. The land shown in the deed is located about four miles south of where Staunton is today located. It can be found by driving south on highway eleven, which followed the Great Pennsylvania Road, soon crossing Folly Mill Creek which joins Nutt's Mill of Mill Creek.
5. Story. 2008 William appeared to have money. 650 acres was more than the average landholder had in the valley. From the land records in Augusta in appears that William lived on 181 acres which had never been recorded. This plot contained a water grist mill (as did the 650 acre Gibbons Jennings tract). He sold the mill on 28 Nov 1749 to Dennis Dyer. On 24 May 1750 Dyer sold Nutt's Mill on Mill Creek back to William Nutt, miller, and a corner of the property borders Andrew Nutt.
6. Story. 2009 The area around Staunton being sold by William Beverly was known as Beverly manor. Beverly was a third or fourth generation Virginian and lived in Essex Co, Va. He had received 118,419 acres from the King in 1732, and was encouraging settlers to move to the Shenandoah valley in order to present a barrier between the Eastern shore of Virginia and the Indians. The Scotch-Irish who had flocked to Pennsylvania were enticed to come to the area by the offer of worshiping in a Presbyterian church instead of the Church of England. The "Great Road" from near Philadelphia, through the Shenandoah Valley, through piedmont NC and down to SC came through the area.
7. Residence, Jul 1740, Orange County, Virginia Colony. 2008 In July 1740, 50 heads of families appeared at the Orange County Courthouse to "prove their importations". Some had been in the valley for more than three years. This was done to show that the immigrants had a right to legal ownership of the lands. The Nutt name did not appear among them, indicating that he and his family were not recent immigrants.
8. Story, 1745, Augusta County, Virginia Colony. 2010 In 1734, Orange County, VA comprised a large part of the Piedmont frontier east of the Blue Ridge, the Shenandoah Valley, and the as yet unsettled lands stretching to the west to the Mississippi River. It extended south to the line of Hanover, and north to the grant of Lord Fairfax. In 1745, Augusta County was formed from Orange, and included all lands west of the Blue Ridge. Augusta's first court was held in Dec 1745.
9. Story. 2011 Of great importance in settling Augusta County was James Patton, who was a sea captain. He was also brother-in-law of John Lewis. William Beverly interested Patton in bringing people to Beverly Manor from the British Isles, primarily Presbyterians who wanted the freedom to worship without interference. Virginia was subject to worship in the Church of England, but it was decided to allow Presbyterians to have their meeting houses in the Shenandoah Valley without interference from Williamsburg. The last of Patton's immigrants arrived about 1738, so William Nutt was probably not one of them. However, according to Nutt's Augusta County deed, he had a 'bond' from John Lewis. John Lewis had fled Ireland in 1729 after he killed an Irish "Lord" in a dispute over the family home in Ireland. Lewis and his wife (who was first cousin of James Patton) lived for a time in Lancaster Co, PA, then went to Williamsburg VA to obtain land in Western Virginia.
10. Religion: Augusta County, Virginia Colony. 2008,2012 The Presbyterian Scotch-Irish organized the Tinkling Springs Meeting House about three miles from the Nutt home. There is a large plaque giving the names of the first members, which includes most of the Nutt neighbors, but not William nor any of the Nutt family. His name (William Knott) is mentioned in Mar 1746/7 on a list of people who had not paid their part of the building costs. He obtained a conditional judgement based on the possibility of his "being released from the said Presbytery within the next twelve months", so maybe he was already planning to leave the area and go to the Carolinas. William may have been a member of the church for social reasons only, as he did not enter into church activities as actively as he did most things. Perhaps he and his family followed another sect, such as Quaker, but there were not enough of that group to form a society.
11. Residence, 17 May 1746, Augusta County, Virginia Colony. 2013 On 17 May 1746, William Nutt, along with Robert McClanchan, John Madison, James McCorkle, and James Armstrong were ordered to build a road from the court house to the clerks office. The court house may have been in a different location than where it is today.
12. Residence, 8 Mar 1747, Augusta County, Virginia Colony. 2013 On 8 Mar 1747/8, John Linn and Robert Young "processioned" the lands of John Henderson, Samuel Downey, William Nutt, James McCorkle, William Ledgerwood, Alexander McFeetors, James Gilmore, Robert Davies and William and James Bell. Processioning of lands was a custom of remarking the corners of surveys every 4 years to keep the property lines from being misplaced and to prevent unlawful poaching and hunting. This gives us an excellent list of the Nutt neighbors at that time.
13. Property, 21 May 1748, Augusta County, Virginia Colony. 2014 William Nutt conveyed 24 1/2 acres in Beverly Manor to James McCorkal. "Dower released by Elinor" (Augusta County Order book 1, p538)
14. Property, 28 Nov 1750, Augusta County, Virginia Colony. 2013,2014 On 28 Nov 1750, William Nutt sells 210 acres to John Coulter, part of his original 650 acres. The same day, William records the sale of 416 1/2 acres to John Buchanan, dated 27 July 1744, also part of the 650 acres. (p72 of something, maybe Augusta County Deed Book 2)
15. Property, 21 Sep 1751, Anson County, North Carolina Colony. 2015,2016 On 21 Sep 1751, William Knott petitioned for 600 acres in Anson County, NC. At the same time, Andrew Nott petitioned for 200 acres in the same area. The area in which they settled was along the Waxhaw and Twelve Mile Creek in what became Mecklenburg County when it was formed from Anson County in 1762. This land lay in Lancaster County, SC when the line between NC and SC was settled. On 1 Apr 1751 the Governor's Council in New Bern had reported that many settlers had not taken out warrants on their land, and so had decided to give settlers eight months to take out their patents or forfeit their rights to the land. As a result, many settlers who had been living on the land for several years without title took quick action to legalize their claims.
16. Residence, 20 Jun 1752, Anson County, North Carolina Colony. 2015 William Nutt witnessed a deed in Anson County on 20 Jun 1752, from William Robinson to William Beard, both of Augusta Co, Va.
17. Property, 28 Mar 1763, Augusta County, Virginia Colony. 2017 On 20 May 1752, there is a reference made to William Nutt's Mill Creek, a branch of Christian's Creek in Beverly Manor, bordering James Caldwell. There is no reference to the sale of the 181 acres. The last mention made to the Nutt land was on 28 March 1763, when Robert McClanchan and his wife sold their land, which cornered William Nutt's land, so he must have still owned the 181 acres. But by 1763, both Robert McClanchan and the Nutt family had been in the Waxhaw settlement of the Carolinas for at least 10 years, and very possibly William Nutt was dead by that time.
18. Military Service, 1755, Anson County, North Carolina Colony. 1994,2018 William and his sons Andrew, William Jr, and John were living in Anson County in 1755 and served under Captain Andrew Pickens, who had been a recent resident of Augusta Co, Va, and prior to that in Lancaster, later Dauphin County, PA. There is also a Robert Nutt listed in Pickens' company, but this is the only place he is mentioned, so it is unknown if he was a son of William, a nephew, or something else. If he was a son, he must have died before the gift deed was made. Names in the Pickens' company on 7 Oct 1755 include Nutt (Andrew, Robert, John, William, William Jr), Davies (George, John, Moses Robert, William), McCain (Hugh), Mountgomery (Robert, John), and Pickens (Captain Andrew, John, Joseph, Andrew, William). Every able bodied man from 16 to 50 had to report for drill on muster days and the company was called out in times of disaster. These Captain's districts were also used for purposes of taxation and enumeration (the township system in NC was a much later development). The Waxhaw settlement was at this time about five years old and was considered to be in NC. There was only one company at this time and it doubtless contained all the able-bodied men of militia age. These were the pioneer settlers of the Waxhaws.
19. Story. 2019 The Nutt families settled within two or three miles of the old Waxhaw Presbyterian Church, the first church above Orangeburg and around which was formed the settlement Waxhaw. In Parton's Life of Jackson, he states " the interior, unpainted, unceiled and uncushioned, with straight-backed pews and rough Sunday School benches, looks grimly wooden and desolate as the traveler removes the chip that keeps the door from blowing open and peeps in." This observation was made on the third church to stand on the spot. Today, the little church stands not far from the Catawba river and faces the old cemetary where many of the first settlers are buried.
20. Property, 27 Jul 1758, Anson County, North Carolina Colony. 2019 On 27 July 1758, William Nutt sold to William Brown some land on the East side of the Catawba, near bank of Twelve Mile Creek (this land is now in SC).
21. Property, 5 Dec 1758, Anson County, North Carolina Colony. 2019 William Nutt's gift deed, dated 5 Dec 1758, mentions his son Andrew Nutt, who received 162 acres "whereon Ambrose Mills now dwells", his son William Nutt, who received 272 acres "part of the tract whereon I now dwell", his son John Nutt, who received 300 acres "whereon I now dwell on both sides of the Waxhaw Creek". It also mentions his wife Eleanor. Witnesses include Hugh McCain (p305 of Vol 5 of Anson Co Deeds).
22. Story. 2020 A Robert Nutt received a land grant in May 1755 in Granville County, NC. He died in 1785. From the ages of his children, he could have been of an age to have been the son of William and Eleanor or otherwise related, but no direct link has been found.
23. Story. 2021 A great deal of thought and searching has taken place regarding the possibility of William Nutt having descended from the McNutt family. There were several families by that name in Augusta County in the 1740s, and their home was about then miles south of where William Nutt lived. One exception was John McNutt who bought land next to the property owned by William Nutt in Beverly Manor, but he did not settle there until 1753, after the Nutt family had gone to Carolina. William Nutt's name did appear within the record of settling the estate of one James McNutt, who was dead in Borden's Tract, south of Staunton, by 22 Aug 1749 with his estate being settled 23 May 1751. William Nutt's name appeared in a list of debts, with the notation beside William's name "debt due the estate". Since William operated a grist mill it appears the debt was similar to all the rest and there appears to be no family tie. This McNutt family had come down from Pennsylvania where there is evidence of numerous immigrants by that name from Ulster. A William Nott of Lancaster County, PA requested a grant for 200 acres in Paxtang Twp in the Forks of Beaver Creek adjoining to Robert Curry and John Graham dated 16 Jan 1737. This land is recorded in now Dauphin County, PA, just above where Harrisburg is now located. There is a deed showing that William Nott was granted this tract of land and by deed dated 4 May 1739/40 conveyed the same to William Barnett who by Will dated 3 Apr 1752 divised the same to Joseph Barnett and was then known as "Barnetts Conquest". So William Nott sold the land the third month in1740 on the 4th, continental system rather than the last month in 1739 English system. "Our" William Nutt bought his land from Gibbons Jennings on the 2nd of Sept 1740.
24. Document. 2022 Sources used for the Nutt Chronicles include "Chronicles of the Scotch Irish Settlement in Virginia; Records of Augusta County, VA 1745-1800" by Lyman Chalkley, "Historic Roads of Virginia, Orange County Road orders, 1734-1749" by Ann Brush Miller, Orange County Va Deed Books, "James Patton and the Appalachian Colonists" by Patricia Givens, "History of Allegheny County", Land Records in the Pennsylvania Land Office, Harrisburg, PA, "History of Augusta County, VA" by Peyton Lewis, "Colonial Records of North Carolina, 1734-1752", NC Land Grant Books, Anson County NC Deed Books, North Carolina Colial Records, "Union County and the Old Waxhaw Settlement" by McNeely, "History of South Carolina, Vol 2" by McGrady, Lancaster County Deeds.
William* married Eleanor* UNKNOWN. (Eleanor* UNKNOWN was born about 1711.)