- Born: 18 Jul 1915, Cumberland County, North Carolina, United States 1666,1668,1669
- Marriage: RENNER, James Oscar in 1948 in Fayetteville, Cumberland County, North Carolina, United States 1666
- Died: 14 Aug 2011, Bradley County, Tennessee, United States 1666,1669
- Buried: 17 Aug 2011, Flint Springs Cemetery, Cleveland, Bradley County, Tennessee 1666
Noted events in her life were:
1. Census, 8 Jan 1920, Cross Creek Twp, Cumberland County, North Carolina, United States. 1671
1) Downing, Daniel L., head of household, rents his home on Morganton Road, age 42, married, born NC, parents born NC, County Official working at Court House
2) Downing, Mary B., wife, age 40, married, born NC, parents born NC
3) Downing, Clara, daughter, age 14, attends school, born NC
4) Downing, Marion, daughter, age 12, attends school, born NC
5) Downing, Lonnie F., son, age 8, attends school, born NC
6) Downing, Dorris, daughter, age 4, born NC.
2. Census, 11 Apr 1930, Fayetteville, Cumberland County, North Carolina, United States. 1672
1) Downing, D. Lon, head of household, owns his home at 815 Branson Street, age 52, married, first married at 25, born NC, parents born NC, automobile dealer, not a veteran
2) Downing, Abbie F., wife, age 33, married, first married at 28, born NC, parents born NC, elementary school teacher. She is also the census taker
3) Downing, Clara, daughter, age 24, single, born NC, high school teacher
4) Downing, Marion, daughter, age 22, single, born NC
5) Downing, Fred, son, age 18, single, attends school, born NC
6) Downing, Dorris, daughter, age 14, attends school, born NC
7) Downing, D. Laurence, son, age 3, born NC
8) Downing, Jean F., daughter, age 2, born NC.
3. Census, 15 Apr 1940, Fayetteville, Cumberland County, North Carolina, United States. 1670
1) Downing, D. Lon, head of household, rents his home for $20, age 62, married, completed 1 year of college, born NC, lived in same house in 1935, worked 40 hours as foreman for C.C.C., worked 52 weeks in 1939, earned $1600
2) Downing, Abbie F., wife, age 48, married, completed 4 years of high school, born NC, worked 40 hours as social workder, worked 52 weeks in 1939, earned $1208
3) Downing, Doris, daughter, age 24, single, completed 2 years of college, born NC, worked 40 hours as book keeper for dry cleaner, worked 52 weeks in 1939, earned $600
4) Downing, Laurance, son, age 13, attends school, completed 7th grade, born NC
5) Downing, Jean, daughter, age 12, attends school, completed 6th grade, born NC.
4. Obituary: Bradley County, Tennessee, United States. 1666 Doris Downing Renner, 96, went to First Baptist Church Sunday morning, August 14 to worship at 11 a.m., suffered a stroke at 7:30 p.m. and met her Lord and Savior at 11:40 p.m. on Sunday evening.
She was a resident of Cleveland and a member of First Baptist Church for 63 years. She met her loving husband James Oscar Renner in Fayetteville, NC where they married in 1948. She was educated in public schools there and majored in Business Administration at Campbell College in North Carolina. She worked at Fort Bragg during World War II and later at the Navy Department in Washington, DC. After moving to Cleveland, she joined the Department of Employment Security. She worked in the Chattanooga area and then was chosen to supervise a pilot rural manpower program in a 5 county area. She was chosen to be manager of the Cleveland offices where she was retired in 1980.She was a member of the board of directors of Vocational Rehabilitation, Cleveland High School Vocational Office, Education Crafts Advisory Committee of the Cleveland City Schools, Governor's Committee on Employment of the Handicapped and member of the local and International Association of Personnel in Employment Security.
She and James Oscar operated a dairy farm in the Red Hill community. She was a member of the home demonstration club at Flint Springs community. She taught a Sunday school class at First Baptist Church for over 40 years.
She was preceded in death by her parents, Mary Breece Downing (who died when Doris was 5 years old) and her father, Daniel Lon Downing; sisters, Marian Downing Holton and Clara Downing Kneece; brothers, William Fred Downing and Daniel Laurence Downing.
Survivors include her husband, the love of her life, James Oscar Renner of Cleveland; sister, Jean Downing Short of Wilmington, NC; sister-in-law, Mrs. Laurence Downing of Fayetteville, NC; nieces and nephews: Denise and Larry Holmes of Fayetteville, NC, DeLon and Ann Downing of Wilmington, NC, Larry and Renee Downing of Durham, NC, Robert and Marie Holton of Tallahassee, Fla., William and Inga Downing of Fayetteville, NC and Bruce and Audrey Downing of Raleigh, NC; her caretaker, David and great niece, Cora Ruth Shope; special niece and nephew, Judge Andrew Bennett and wife, Nancy.
Doris was a loving aunt to many, many other nieces and nephews, a faithful friend and will be missed by all.
Funeral services will be conducted at 11:00 a.m. Wednesday, August 17, 2011 in the chapel of Fike Funeral Home with the Reverends Allan Lockerman, Jim Gibson and Tom Moncrief will be officiating. Interment will follow at Flint Springs Cemetery with Drew Bennett, Jack Easterly, Steve Gibson, David Shope, David Hannah and Charles Hannah serving as pallbearers. A white dove release ceremony will conclude the service.
Doris married James Oscar RENNER in 1948 in Fayetteville, Cumberland County, North Carolina, United States.1666 (James Oscar RENNER was born on 21 Feb 1920 in Greene County, Tennessee, United States,1667 died on 11 Mar 2013 1667 and was buried on 15 Mar 2013 in Flint Springs Cemetery, Cleveland, Bradley County, Tennessee 1667.)